Offers Claimed: 76
Downloaded Today: 121
Don’t see your pharmacy listed? Most pharmacies accept our discounts, so have your pharmacist enter this coupon to see if you will save money:
Commonly reported side effects of indapamide include: hypokalemia. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.For the Consumer
Applies to indapamide: oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, indapamide may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking indapamide:
Signs and symptoms of an imbalance of water or potassium in the body
Some side effects of indapamide may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Less common or rare
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to indapamide: compounding powder, oral tabletGeneral
Most adverse side effects are mild and transient.Dermatologic
Dermatologic reactions, such as rashes, occur in less than 5% of patients, and comprise up to 36% of all adverse drug reactions associated with indapamide.Metabolic
Metabolic abnormalities are common, but are rarely clinically significant. Hypokalemia occurs in 15% of patients, although clinically relevant hypokalemia is reported in only 1% and 3% of patients receiving 2.5 and 5.0 mg/day, respectively. Hyponatremia, hyperglycemia, and hyperuricemia are reported in 1% to 5% of patients but are rarely clinically relevant. Unlike the thiazides, indapamide has little or no adverse effect on the lipid profile. Severe cases of hyponatremia, accompanied by hypokalemia have been reported with recommended doses of indapamide in elderly females.Renal
Renal side effects are unusual, consisting primarily of azotemia.
A case of interstitial nephritis and an urticarial rash associated with indapamide has been reported.Gastrointestinal
Gastrointestinal side effects include dyspepsia, constipation, diarrhea, flatulence, and dry mouth in less than 5% of patients.Nervous system
Nervous system side effects include dizziness, lightheadedness, headache, and fatigue in 5% of patients.Cardiovascular
Cardiovascular side effects are usually limited to postural hypotension. Indapamide does not affect the heart rate.Musculoskeletal
Musculoskeletal cramps are reported in about 5% of patients. A single case of skeletal muscle damage has been associated with indapamide.
A 71-year-old woman with a history of psychiatric problems and reflux esophagitis developed chest pain, finger numbness, sweating, and nausea while gardening. Her medications included indapamide, trifluoperazine, oxazepam, and ranitidine. Myocardial infarction was definitively ruled out by ECG and CPK isoenzyme analysis. Interesting laboratory values included a reduced serum sodium (117 mmol/L), elevated LDH and AST enzymes, and elevated CPK-MM isoenzymes. There was no history of muscular trauma, and thyroid function tests were normal. The hyponatremia and elevated CPK-MM fractions fell precipitously upon hydration with normal saline. A definite causal link between indapamide and rhabdomyolysis could not be made, but thiazide diuretics have been previously implicated in some cases of hypokalemia with subsequent muscle damage.Genitourinary
Genitourinary side effects generally reflect the activity of the drug, with less than 5% of patients reporting polyuria and nocturia.
Decreased sexual libido is rare, with up to 88% of patients reporting no change and most of the remaining 12% reporting improvement of sexual libido during indapamide therapy.Hepatic
A case of reversible hepatitis associated with indapamide has been reported.
Hepatic side effects are rare, at least one case of hepatitis has been reported.Hypersensitivity
Hypersensitivity reactions occur in less than 5% of patients. Cases of severe reactions including toxic epidermal necrolysis, erythema multiforme, and Stevens-Johnson syndrome have been reported. Patients with a sulfa allergy may react to indapamide.Endocrine
Endocrine side effects include at least one case of indapamide-induced hyperparathyroidism. In one study, indapamide significantly reduced parathyroid hormone levels in all patients.Hematologic
Hematologic side effects are rare, but have included at least one case of mild thrombocytopenia and mucosal bleeding from the tongue. Bleeding stopped promptly and platelet counts returned to normal following discontinuation of indapamide.
August 31, 2020
October 13, 2021
October 13, 2021
October 8, 2021
October 8, 2021
October 7, 2021