Chloroxylenol, Hydrocortisone, and Pramoxine Otic Solution (klor oh ZYE le nole, HIGH droe CORE tih sone, and pram OX een)Brand Name:
Aero Otic HC, Cortane
-B Aqueous, Cortic
, ...show all 9 brand names.Exotic-HC, Oticin Hc NR, Oto-End 10, Otomax-HC
Uses of Exotic-HC:
- It is used to treat ear infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Exotic-HC?
- If you have an allergy to chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, pramoxine, or any other part of Exotic-HC (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what
signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Chickenpox, herpes infection, or viral infection of the ear.
- If you have a hole in the eardrum.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Exotic-HC (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check
to make sure that it is safe for you to take Exotic-HC (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of
any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Exotic-HC?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Exotic-HC (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Exotic-HC (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Exotic-HC (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution)
while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Exotic-HC) best taken?
Use Exotic-HC (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the ear only.
- Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean the outer ear before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Lie on your side with problem ear up.
- For children 3 years of age and older and adults, pull the outer ear outward and upward.
- For children younger than 3 years of age, pull the outer ear outward and downward.
- Put drops in ear without touching dropper to ear. Stay on side for 5 minutes.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your
doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing;
tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue,
- Ear irritation.
What are some other side effects of Exotic-HC?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical
help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical
advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Exotic-HC?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your
pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Exotic-HC (chloroxylenol, hydrocortisone, and pramoxine otic solution), please talk
with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Exotic-HC (chloroxylenol / hydrocortisone / pramoxine otic)
- Side Effects
- Drug class: otic steroids with anti-infectives
- FDA Alerts (1)
Other brands: Aero Otic HC, Cortane-B, Cortic-ND, Cyotic, ... +2 more
Related treatment guides
- Acute Otitis Externa
- Ear Conditions
- Otitis Externa
Editorial References and Review
Medically reviewed by USARx EDITORIAL TEAM Last updated on 1/27/2021.
Source: Drugs.com Exotic-hc (www.drugs.com/cdi/exotic-hc.html).