Generic Name: Pyrithione Zinc Shampoo (peer i THYE one ZINK)
Brand Name: Aveeno Nourish + Dandruff Control, Beta Med, DermaZinc Shampoo, DHS Body Wash, DHS Zinc, ...show all 12 brand names.Head & Shoulders 2 in 1, Head & Shoulders Classic Clean, Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp 2 in 1, Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control, Selsun Blue Dry Scalp, Selsun Blue Salon, Theraplex Z
Uses of DermaZinc Shampoo:
- It is used to control seborrheic dermatitis.
- It is used to treat skin irritation and dandruff.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take DermaZinc Shampoo?
- If you have an allergy to DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo) or any part of DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what
signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check
to make sure that it is safe for you to take DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of
any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take DermaZinc Shampoo?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo)
while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (DermaZinc Shampoo) best taken?
Use DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- If DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo) gets in the eyes, rinse with cool water.
- Do not take DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo) by mouth. Use on your scalp and hair only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Shake well before use.
- Wet hair and scalp.
- Work into a lather and rinse.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your
doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing;
tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue,
- Very bad irritation where DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo) is used.
What are some other side effects of DermaZinc Shampoo?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical
help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical
advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out DermaZinc Shampoo?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your
pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc shampoo), please talk
with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about DermaZinc Shampoo (pyrithione zinc topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- 1 Review
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents
Other brands: Head & Shoulders, Zincon, Aveeno Nourish + Dandruff Control, Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp, ... +6 more
Related treatment guides
- Seborrheic Dermatitis
Editorial References and Review
Medically reviewed by USARx EDITORIAL TEAM Last updated on 1/1/2020.
Source: Drugs.com Dermazinc Shampoo (www.drugs.com/cdi/dermazinc-shampoo.html).