Published December 27th, 2019 by Stephanie
If you have ever experienced heartburn, chances are you have taken omeprazole. This FDA-approved medication comes in two forms – prescription and over-the-counter. Both have the same active ingredient. The difference lies in how severe the condition that a person needs to treat. Prescription omeprazole in oral capsule form is a delayed-release drug, which slows down the release of medication. The effect happens when it passes through the stomach to prevent the stomach from inactivating the drug.
People experiencing heartburn usually turn to this medicine for relief. However, some may have more than just heartburn. It can be a symptom of acid reflux. A more severe form of acid reflux is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). If you are experiencing severe heartburn at least twice a week and if it interferes with your daily activities, you might want to ask your doctor for a checkup. You might have GERD. Treatment of this chronic condition takes time. It may include a change in lifestyle, medication, and surgery for more severe cases.
From the name itself, acid reflux means the flowing back of the contents of one’s stomach back to the esophagus. Our lower esophageal sphincter (LES) only opens to let the food pass through and get into the stomach. It then closes to avoid the flowing back of food and stomach acids to the esophagus. If a person is experiencing GERD, it means his or her LES may be weak or has relaxed at the wrong time.
Based on studies, various things can cause GERD. Dietary and lifestyle choices are among the most common causes. Some food and beverages may trigger acid reflux or heartburn. Cigarette smoking and obesity can also lead to having GERD symptoms.
Contrary to what some people think, GERD is a common condition. It can happen to anyone. In the United States, estimates show that around 15% to 30% of Americans have GERD. This data does not include people who do not consult medical professionals. Meanwhile, there are more than 60 million American adults experiencing heartburn at least once a month.
To treat the symptoms of GERD and other conditions that may occur due to excess in stomach acid, doctors usually prescribe omeprazole. It is a proton pump inhibitor that can decrease the amount of acid that the patient’s stomach produces. It also helps the esophagus and stomach heal damaged tissues. However, the increase in prices of prescription drugs may have also affected omeprazole. Some users tend to look for omeprazole coupons so they can buy what they need at a lower cost.
Before using omeprazole, you should consult your doctor first. Sometimes, people can mistake a heart attack for heartburn. Having confirmation as to what kind of condition you are experiencing can also help avoid misuse of the prescription drug. For more severe cases, you may need prescription omeprazole. Some diseases may require the use of a combination of omeprazole and other medications to get the desired effect.
• There are various ways of taking omeprazole. A patient can either take a capsule, tablet, or liquid suspension.
• Some people can have allergic reactions to the drug. You should report any sign of allergies, such as rashes, hives, itching, shortness of bread, cough, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
• This drug may affect the results of some laboratory tests. Inform your healthcare providers and laboratory workers if you are taking omeprazole.
• Omeprazole can cause other types of bacteria to thrive in the stomach. These bacteria can disrupt the natural environment inside your stomach. Some of these bacteria are enterococcus, streptococcus, and staphylococcus. Some patients have even acquired strains of e.coli. Our stomach has good bacteria that help defend the digestive system from pathogens. However, some users of omeprazole have shown a more diverse flora of bacteria, which can affect the whole system.
• Studies show that this drug works better than rabeprazole in treating various stomach problems
• One cannot use omeprazole on an as-needed basis. Proton pump inhibitors, which include this drug, can take up to five days before it shows maximum effect.
• Some people experience side effects when taking omeprazole. Adults may experience headaches, stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and gas. Meanwhile, a child can also experience fever in addition to the other side effects.
• This medication may interact with other drugs and vitamins a person is taking. The interaction between drugs can also be harmful to the person who is taking medicine. You should inform your physician about all the medications and vitamins you are taking.
Americans who have to buy omeprazole may find the drug expensive, especially if there is a need to take it for a long time. Add to the situation the fact that the United States does not regulate drug prices. Some pharmacies can take advantage of the situation and charge more.
One way of ensuring you are getting the right medication without having to spend too much is through the use of omeprazole coupons. There are various ways of getting discount coupons for medicines. Some doctors offer coupons to their patients. You can ask your doctor if he or she has some.
Another effective way of saving money is through prescription drug discount cards that cover various brand and generic FDA-approved medications. USA Rx offers a discount card that one can use in over 60,000 pharmaceutical outlets around the country. Anyone interested is eligible to get a discount card. We are offering a card that is free of charges. You do not even have to leave your house to get your card. There is no need for you to prepare some paperwork. Just print the card and resent it to any participating pharmacies and enjoy the benefits of being a cardholder. Discounts can help you save money and focus more on your recovery.