5 Best Anti-Snoring Mouthguard for the Perfect Nights Sleep
When people think of mouthguards, more often than not, they relate them to people playing contact or near-contact sports. However, it’s not just athletes that can benefit from using one. Mouthguards are also very effective in helping to prevent snoring.
It’s estimated that as many as 1 in 3 Americans snore. While for some people, their snoring may be causing anyone any harm. For others, it can not only disrupt their own sleep, but excessive or loud snoring can also affect others sleeping nearby.
The cause and effects of snoring is a subject that’s been studied quite extensively for a long time. And while scientists may have narrowed down the reasons as to why this happens, it’s much harder to stop it. But, through the use of a decent mouthguard, you certainly stand a good chance.
If you’re new to the world of snoring mouthguards, then it may all seem a little daunting at first. And, while the anti-snore mouthpiece is still classed as a device, it’s an oral appliance that is well worth its weight in gold. They work by preventing your tongue from blocking the back of the throat, keeping your airway pressure at a good level. This is the main thing that causes snoring.
The Best Anti-Snoring Mouthguard to Help Stop Snoring
In the following review, we’ll go through some of the best anti-snoring mouthpieces available at the moment. We’ll share with you the main highs (and any significant lows) of each product as well as give you a brief rundown of the pros and cons of using an anti-snoring mouthpiece in general. And lastly, you’ll also get to learn about some of the other devices out today which are designed to combat snoring.
While there are many a good anti-snoring mouthpiece available for sale, none are quite as superior as this.
The VitalSleep Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece is FDA cleared and doctor recommended and works well to reduce snoring. It’s not too bulky to wear and molds to your teeth in just 60 seconds using the infallible boil and bite technique. Available in men’s or women’s size for optimal fitting, this mouthpiece is the perfect aid for just about anyone who wants to stop snoring at night.
One of this product’s best-selling points is that it’s equipped with the patented Accu-Adjust System. With a fixed boil and bite Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD) mouthpiece, there’s no wiggle room to make minor adjustments. During the mold process you need to stretch your jaw forward by quite a significant amount in order to get it in the right position, and once molded, that’s it. With the Accu-Adjust system, things are much less rigid. What this system does is it allows you to gradually adjust the mouthpiece to push your jaw further forward, meaning you get longer to settle into your mouthpiece.
The quality of the product is high, and it’s reasonably priced. It’s also been FDA cleared, so you know you’re pretty safe. But, to show to you how much confidence the company has in its product, the VitalSleep Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece comes with a 60-night money back guarantee and 1-year warranty.
All-in-all, it’s a fantastic product that is well worth investing in if you have any snoring problems. It’s easy to use, comfortable when in, and won’t break the bank. What more could you ask for?
When it comes to finding a suitable and effective mouthguard, there’s never going to be a one size fits all model as we’re all so uniquely different. And while a lot of mouthguard manufacturers recognize this, they don’t always do as much as they could to provide for this. But SnoreRx is not one of them. This company was founded back in 2009 with the sole intention of supplying the world with an affordable and effective solution to stop snoring.
The SnoreRx Mouthguard is a MAD device, so works by gently pushing your lower jaw forward to ensure your airway remains open. But don’t worry of this sounds uncomfortable as it isn’t. One of this mouthpiece’s biggest selling points is that it’s so very customizable to fit your mouth, and once in place, you’ll hardly notice it’s there. It features a Thermal Matrix design which is lightweight, slim, and creates a custom impression of your teeth to ensure a snug fit. And once in place, is easily adjustable in 1mm increments, up to a maximum of 6mm.
In order to customize the mouthguard to mold perfectly to your teeth, it uses the old ‘boil and bite’ process. So, all you need is a cup of hot water and you’re ready to create your very own custom impression. Another big bonus this mouthpiece has going for it is that it’s been approved by the FDA for meeting all medical standards and being an effective snoring reduction device. There’s no need for any doctor’s prescription to get one, and it’s backed by a 30-night sleep trial.
ZQuiet Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece
If you’re looking for a high-quality anti-snoring mouthpiece that looks good, feels good, and works well, then you’re in the right place.
The ZQuiet Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece is a true marvel when it comes to relieving the symptoms of snoring. It’s a Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD), meaning it works by pushing your jaw forward in order to keep your tongue from blocking your airway. In addition to that it’s also a Tongue Retaining Device (TRD), which ensures the tongue is restrained enough that it’s unable to obstruct your breathing, preventing snoring from happening.
When purchasing the ZQuiet Mouthpiece you get not 1, but 2 mouthpieces included in the kit. Both are different sizes, so try them both and see which fits best. Unlike many other mouthguards you may come across, this model requires no molding. Simply pop it in and trim and necessary. It’s also one of the safer options out there, being made from a medical-grade thermoplastic polymer and free from both BPA and latex.
Thanks to its soft molded plastic, you may also benefit from using this mouthguard if you’re a teeth grinder as it will prevent your upper and lower jaw from clasping together when you sleep. Just be aware, that although it will help, this mouthguard wasn’t specifically designed for that purpose, and therefore could shorten its lifespan. For a more suitable option for teeth grinders, click here.
So, as you can see, the ZQuiet Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece is a great piece of technology that’s super effective when it comes to the prevention of snoring. It’s also FDA cleared and available without a prescription. And lastly, getting 2 for the price of 1, means it’s also excellent value for money.
PureSleep Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece
The PureSleep Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece is a very effective device with a good track record to back it up. With more than a million sales in the past 20 years, this mouthpiece is the number one product for a lot of people. It was designed by a group of dentists and physicians and has been clinically proven to reduce snoring.
In terms of comfort, it’s also very good. Much of this is down to the device’s patented, dual-polymer design. It’s not bulky or intrusive and is made using BPA free materials that are 100% American. And, it’s been FDA cleared too. PureSleep is a MAD device that works by pushing forward the jaw to ensure an open airway.
Fitment of this mouthpiece is relatively pain-free and can be done in a matter of a few minutes. It uses the old bite and boil technique to ensure the best fit for your mouth. If you do need any guidance during this process, the device comes equipped with a very comprehensive guide to assist. And, when it comes to adjusting the device to best fit your mouth, there are 3 different settings to choose from: one that aligns to a standard bite; one that’s suitable for an over-bite, and another for an under-bite. So, you can be sure of a good fit with this mouthguard.
The price is right, it’s easy to use, and the number of past sales should give you some idea of how effective it is. So, all-in-all, it’s not a bad buy at all.
ZYPPAH Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece
If you’re looking for a more modern design and price is not too much of a concern for you, then why not check out the ZYPPAH Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece. It is a little more expensive than most of the other models on this list, but once you’ve used it, you’ll soon see why.
Proudly manufactured in the USA, and FDA cleared, this mouthpiece is one of the best anti-snoring devices out there. To be honest, if it wasn’t for the price it would probably be the best overall. This mouthpiece is actually guaranteed to work, and the way it does this is by using a tongue strap to prevent any blocking of the airway. In addition to that it also advances the lower jaw to improve airflow and reduce snoring.
Another huge bonus is that it’s easy to mold using the boil and bit technique. If at first you don’t get it right, you can simply re-boil the water and have another go. One thing to note, however, is that this mouthpiece doesn’t work well with those who wear braces. Instead, check these models out.
The ZYPPAH Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece is widely acclaimed and has been endorsed by a number of top celebrities, including Shaquille O’Neal, and Bob Eubanks. It’s also been proven to work on shows such as Good Morning America and NBC Nightly News.
This product is different than most others out there today, and its innovative design works well. And, to top it all off, it even comes available in a good selection of colors and designs. So, even though it may cost you a little more to begin with, it’s one purchase you won’t regret.
Other Anti-Snoring Devices
In addition to anti-snoring mouthpieces, there are other things you can do to try and curb your snoring and/or teeth grinding. Here are alternative snoring solutions:
- Pillow loft: One of the main causes of snoring is the position in which people sleep. People who sleep on their backs are especially prone to snoring. Therefore, investing in a pillow that can help reposition your head and neck could help immensely. One of the things to look for when shopping for a new pillow is how much loft it has. Pillow loft refers to the thickness or height of the pillow and those designed to help snorers are generally classified into 3 categories: high (over 5” thick); medium (between 3”–5” thick); or low (less than 3” thick). Those on the heavier side should opt for a pillow with a low loft to avoid increasing the incline when laying down. While those who are lightweight should opt for a high loft. These are particularly useful anti-snore device for those who wear dentures as they’re non-invasive.
- Air purifiers and humidifiers: If your snoring is triggered by anything like dust, pollution, or allergies, then these devices can work wonders. Not only will the clean air improve your snoring, it will help to ensure you get a good night’s sleep. These are good for pretty much anyone, as they sit on the side out of the way. So, regardless of whether you wear dentures or have bruxism these are great little accompaniments to use at night.
- CPAP, BiPAP, and APAP: These machines are a little more intense than a new pillow or an anti-snoring mouthpiece and are all used in the treatment of sleep apnea or obstructive sleep apnea. While they are very effective in what they do, each of these devices needs to be prescribed by a doctor and are designed to help those heavier snorers out there.
- Adjustable beds: A lot of easing snoring comes from simply finding a better sleeping position, and adjustable beds are a very good way to do that as you can keep your head permanently raised. Some more advanced models even have adjustable frames with preset inclines specifically for habitual snorers. There are no side effects to concern yourself with and is definitely one of the more comfortable anti-snore devices out there. The only downside is most of these beds will cost you in excess of $1000.
Pros and Cons of Anti-Snoring Mouthpiece
There are pros and cons to using an anti-snoring mouthpiece. Here are some of the main ones:
- Low cost: Considering how much use you get out of it; an anti-snoring mouthpiece is very inexpensive. Most have a lifespan of around 2-years when properly maintained. And considering they cost a mere fraction of the cost of an adjustable bed, it’s a good place to start.
- User-friendly: These are relatively simple devices to use. There are no bells and whistles, plugs, or buttons to be concerned with. Just (hopefully medical grade) plastic. Most models on this page are of the boil and bite kind and are all easily moldable. Any that aren’t can simply be trimmed to fit.
- Silent: Unlike some of the other anti-snoring devices you can get, mouthguards produce no noise. With one of these, you have no worry about being woke up in the middle of the night by bleeping like you do with a CPAP machine.
- Safe: Provided you opt for a good model, most anti-snoring mouthpieces are medical grade and FDA cleared. Most are also BPA and latex-free.
- Maintenance: Cleaning your mouthguard can be a pain at first. However, it is a necessary evil. And even though you do soon get used to it, it’s still not ever going to be fun. If you want some free tips and advice as to how best clean your mouthguard be sure to check out this article.
- Short lifespan: Most decent ant-snoring mouthpieces will be good for around a couple of years on average, some maybe more; some maybe less. So, don’t think the one you choose now will be with you for life, as it won’t. These things get a lot of use and are not designed to work indefinitely. So, be prepared to replace it regularly.
- Soreness: You may experience a little discomfort to begin with, when using your mouthpiece for the first time. However, don’t be put off, as this feeling will pass. It just takes a while to get used to.
- Dry mouth: Some people complain of a dry mouth when using an anti-snoring mouthpiece. But most are easy enough to drink while wearing, so just keep a glass of water on the bedside table if you’re worried.
We hope you found the above snoring mouthpiece review useful and are now one step closer to finding your next snoring aid.
Most of the above can be purchased from the likes of Amazon or eBay. Those that can’t, can be bought direct from the manufacturer themselves.
So, banish that snoring sound, ditch the drooling, and get a good night’s sleep by investing in an anti-snoring mouthpiece (you can thank us for it later).