Selenite: The Mineral with Many Names and Many Benefits
Selenite is a mineral with many names and benefits.
It is known by different names in different parts of the world, but it always refers to the same mineral that has been used for centuries for its healing properties, and more recently it has been used as a tool to connect with the spiritual realm.
There are many different types of selenite, each with its own unique set of benefits.
In this article, we will explore the history, science, and spiritual applications of selenite.
What is selenite?
Selenite is a hydrated calcium sulfate dihydrate mineral that forms in evaporite deposits, which are deposits made left by seawater.
It has a Mohs hardness of 2, which means it is "soft" for a mineral, and a specific gravity of 2.3, which is a scale for measuring density with 2.3 being not that dense.
It is transparent to translucent with a brown-green, brownish-yellow, white, gray, or clear colorless streak. Some of the biggest crystals in the world are selenite crystals which can grow up over 30 feet long and weigh over 55 tons.
The origin of the name selenite comes from the Greek selene, meaning "moon," as Selene is the ancient Greek goddess of the moon.
Selenite can be found in Mexico, Russia, Morocco, Australia, Poland, Argentina, Brazil, and the United States among many other places.
What are the different names of selenite?
Selenite goes by a few different names which are usually inspired by the shape of the crystal, these include:
- Satin spar, which appears silky and is fibrous too
- Desert rose, which is when the selenite forms in the pattern of a rose and are often the color of sand
- Gypsum rose, which is similar to desert rose in that the selenite forms rosettes that appear fibrous although they are often curved too
- Selenite, which is often clear or opaque in color
Selenite rose, butterfly selenite, golden phantom, and disodium selenite are also other names used for selenite.
All of these names refer to the same mineral and are different due to the shape or reference selenite of different colors.
What are the benefits of selenite?
Selenite is said to be beneficial for many things. A few of the benefits selenite is said to have are:
- Clearing energy blocks
- Cleansing an energy field, spaces, and other stones
- Improves your ability to manifest things into being
- Helps with intuition
- Uplifting those who use it
- Clarity of mind
- Calming the mind
- Helps you connect with others
Due to its high-frequency vibration level, selenite is also said to promote a deep sense of peace and calm.
The high-vibration frequency is also said to help cleanse and purify the body, mind, and spirit, and help cleanse any spaces, such as your home, and even other crystals.
Please note that none of these benefits have been verified by medical research and it is all based on anecdotal evidence.
What are the different types of selenite?
There are a few different types of selenite, meaning they can come in different shapes and colors.
There are different shapes of naturally occurring selenite, which are described by the different names listed above, and there are different shapes that are used if you are using selenite as a healing crystal.
The shapes of selenite that are used for metaphysical purposes include:
- Towers, also called crystal points, are crystals that stand upright on a flat end on their own and usually have 6 to 8 sides that usually come to a point at the top
- Wands, similar to crystal towers but with points on either end or a point and rounded on the other end, are unable to stand up on their own and can only lay on their side
- Hourglass crystals refer to the sediment trapped inside the crystal that takes on the shape of an hourglass
It is believed that each of these shapes has different benefits although there is no scientific evidence to prove it.
While selenite is often transparent or opaque, it can come in a few different colors. The colors of selenite include:
- White selenite is the most common form and is clear, white, or slightly opaque and is believed to be beneficial for overall spiritual development, clearing blocked auras, and cleansing negative auras
- Golden selenite is a type of selenite that has a yellow or golden hue. It is said to be beneficial for awareness
- Peach selenite is selenite that has a peach or even orange hue and is said to be beneficial for emotional healing and comfort and to help with your sacral chakra, which is said to be beneficial for your sexual organs
- Pink Selenite has, as the name suggests, a pink hue and is said to be beneficial for manifesting your wants and needs
Other colors include green selenite and even blue selenite.
How do you prepare your selenite crystal?
To use a selenite crystal properly you will need to cleanse, charge, and activate your crystal and we will detail all three below.
Cleansing your crystal is important as it gets rid of any negative or unwanted energies that may be attached to your selenite.
You can cleanse your selenite by running it under cool water for a few minutes, using sage smoke from a smudge stick to waft over it, or even leaving it out in the sun for a half-hour or moonlight overnight.
Placing the crystal in a bowl of salt or using a singing bowl, which is a large bell that vibrates when hit, can also cleanse your crystal of any negative energy.
After you have cleansed your selenite, you will need to charge it with positive energy. You can do this by setting the selenite in the sun for a half-hour or moonlight overnight or using a charging plate which is usually another crystal.
The final step is to activate your selenite, which will allow you to use it for its intended purpose.
To activate your selenite, hold the selenite in your hand and set your intention for what you want to use it for, such as emotional healing or spiritual development.
You can also place selenite in a room or space that you want to cleanse of negative energy.
How does selenite work?
Once your selenite crystal is cleansed, charged, and activated, you can start to use it for its intended purpose.
Usually, it is placed on your body while meditating or worn to absorb its positive energy throughout the day.
Selenite is also commonly used to charge and cleanse other stones too.
You may even place selenite crystals on your chakras, which are said to be the seven points in your body that energy flows through, to cleanse and align them. The 7 different chakras include:
- The root chakra, which is located at the base of your spine and is said to be beneficial for your survival instincts
- The sacral chakra, which is located just below your belly button and is said to be beneficial for your sexual organs
- The solar plexus chakra, which is located in your upper abdomen and is said to be beneficial for your self-esteem
- The heart chakra, which is located in the center of your chest and is said to be beneficial for your ability to love
- The throat chakra, which is located in your throat and is said to be beneficial for communication
- The third eye chakra, which is located between your eyebrows and is said to be beneficial for intuition
- The crown chakra, which is located at the top of your head and is said to be beneficial for your connection to the universe
Is there any scientific evidence to support these claims?
Unfortunately, at this time, the beneficial use of selenite is not backed by any scientific evidence.
Is there anything I to be aware of when purchasing selenite?
When purchasing selenite, be aware that it is a soft mineral and can easily break or scratch. It is also important to note that selenite can dissolve in water so be sure to keep it away from any moisture.
There are also fake selenite crystals on the market, usually made from glass, to tell the difference you can touch them as glass will feel cooler or try to scratch them as selenite is a soft mineral and will scratch easier.
Lastly, fake glass selenite may have bubbles in them which does not happen with naturally occurring selenite, although there may be debris or different colors in the crystal which is natural.
Selenite is the crystal form of the mineral gypsum and it is a soft mineral that can easily break or scratch.
Selenite comes in many different colors including white, clear, golden, peach, pink, and green among others and is said to have many benefits such as emotional healing, spiritual development, and cleansing of other stones. Although selenite's beneficial use is not backed by any scientific evidence, many people believe in its power.
If you plan to purchase selenite, be aware of fake selenite crystals on the market.
References and Sources: