How Can I Save Money On My Prescription Medications?
Most of us are concerned about saving money. Thanks to the current state of the economy, the majority of the consumers out there have all been forced in some way to tighten up our budgets to make sure we have the financial means to cover all the necessities of life. This is especially true where saving money on prescription medications is concerned. However, before getting started, it is important to know what you could be paying for your medications.
With some healthcare plans, you are required to pay a co-insurance (set percentage) for your prescription drugs while others require a co-payment on your medications meaning that you will pay a fixed amount for them. Because of this, many healthcare plan formularies or list of preferred medications feature two or more tiers or cost levels. Each tier will typically have a different co-payment amount (the higher the tier, the higher the co-payment amount).
In other words, the 1st tier will have the lowest co-payment amounts while the 4th will have the highest. You will usually find three or four cost tiers in every health insurance plan such as the following:
- Tier 1 – generic medications (lowest cost)
- Tier 2 – preferred brand name medications
- Tier 3 – preferred non-brand name medications
- Tier 4 – specialty medications (highest cost)
Once you have made your decision on the right health insurance plan, there are a number of ways that you can save additional money on your prescription medications. For instance:
- You can ask your employer if they offer FSA’s or Flexible Spending Accounts which are set up as payroll deductions so you have the money to pay for healthcare expenses including your medications (these deductions lower your taxable income on each paycheck).
- You can compare the price of your medications at either mail-order or online pharmacies.
- You can compare what your medications will cost at several different pharmacies.
- You can look into a prescription or medication assistance programs provided your health insurance plan offers them.
- You can download and print out the USA Rx pharmacy discount card and use it to receive discounts of up to 75% at more than 60,000 participating pharmacies.
More information regarding the USA Rx pharmacy discount card is available at our website. Or if you would like to speak with a company representative directly, call us today at our toll-free number 888-277-3911. Let us show you how you can start saving money today.